TOPIC

Again…

Profile picture

Marilyn

0 POSTS
JOINED NOV 2016
December 1, 2016 at 6:41 am

The ca125 test showed up high then a PET scan showed up spots/tumours and then traeatment started to shrink spots, hopefully , just started on 6  cycle treatment and will have another pet scan after 3 cycle to check, ask for a pet scan, I think they are very good , they picked up some breast cancer which was not related too, wishing us the best outcome. xx

Profile picture

Helen

242 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
December 2, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Hi Marilyn,

It is good that the treatment is shrinking your spots and hopefully it does not give you too many side effects.  When the CA125 marker goes up, the doctors are very quick to want scans done and they can then start treatment before the spots get any bigger, I appreciate this aspect of 3 monthly checks.  I have CT scans, do you know what the difference is between a PET scan and a CT scan?  Take care  Helen

Profile picture

Sara

6 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
January 13, 2017 at 5:14 am

I have had both CT and PET scans.  My understanding is that PET & MRI scans are able to show smaller size tumours than CT scans.  The procedure for a PET scan (https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/pet-scan) is rather more complicated and needs greater preparation time than a CT scan.  Some scans also do a combination PET/CT scan.

Take care,

Sara

JOIN OR LOGIN TO POST A COMMENT

Already signed up? Log in here

Profile picture

Marilyn

0 POSTS
JOINED NOV 2016
December 1, 2016 at 6:41 am

The ca125 test showed up high then a PET scan showed up spots/tumours and then traeatment started to shrink spots, hopefully , just started on 6  cycle treatment and will have another pet scan after 3 cycle to check, ask for a pet scan, I think they are very good , they picked up some breast cancer which was not related too, wishing us the best outcome. xx

Profile picture

Helen

242 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
December 2, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Hi Marilyn,

It is good that the treatment is shrinking your spots and hopefully it does not give you too many side effects.  When the CA125 marker goes up, the doctors are very quick to want scans done and they can then start treatment before the spots get any bigger, I appreciate this aspect of 3 monthly checks.  I have CT scans, do you know what the difference is between a PET scan and a CT scan?  Take care  Helen

Profile picture

Sara

6 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
January 13, 2017 at 5:14 am

I have had both CT and PET scans.  My understanding is that PET & MRI scans are able to show smaller size tumours than CT scans.  The procedure for a PET scan (https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/pet-scan) is rather more complicated and needs greater preparation time than a CT scan.  Some scans also do a combination PET/CT scan.

Take care,

Sara