TOPIC

Newly diagnosed and scared

Profile picture

Helen

242 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
April 29, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Hi Newly diagnosed and scared,  I agree it is very scary what you are going to experience over the next 6 months and there are a number of us who have gone through this, however we made it through and you will too.  The port is a good idea, as it is a lot quicker and less tedious than having to go through the “finding a good vein” process.  Here are a couple of hints to help you through the chemo stage – Make sure you get a resilience kit sent to you from this website, it is great and gives you lots of good ways to manage the surgery and chemo process.  I found the first lot of chemo the hardest, as I didn’t know what to expect and as we are all different I wasn’t sure how it was going to affect me.   I was more mentally prepared for the second lot and it didn’t seem to knock me as much.  When I wasn’t feeling the best, I rested and tried to be as gentle with myself as I could and then when I was feeling more normal (and trust me, you will) I would go about my normal life.  I made sure I had plenty of family and friends around to support me.   After each lot of chemo, I would say “well that is another down, only ?? to go”.  I found exercising helped, even if it was a just a short walk around the block. Even though chemo is not very nice, as least you know it is killing the nasty stuff.  Try and stay positive.  Take care, Helen

Profile picture

nikki

130 POSTS
JOINED JUL 2016
April 29, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Welcome to the forum!

First of all your port will be your best friend.  I saves about an hour of saline flushing at chemo so you get out of there earlier!  What chemo drugs are you having?  I’ve had a few different ones and they all have different side effects.  One thing that I’ve found that helps is to make sure your have a hobby.  Do a puzzle (I’m on my 4th go at chemo and I just finished a really hard one), paint, invest in a good colouring in book and some pencils.  I’ve found that if I’m occupied by something that doesn’t require too much thinking it helps take my mind off feeling sick.

Don’t stress about your first time at chemo.  You will think ‘I shouldn’t be here’ and be overwhelmed by it all, but oncology nurses are some of the best people you can find.  The treatment room is usually a loud happy place.  Take the opportunity to relax have some time to yourself and meet some new people.

Keep us up to date with how it goes.

Nikki

JOIN OR LOGIN TO POST A COMMENT

Already signed up? Log in here

Profile picture

Helen

242 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
April 29, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Hi Newly diagnosed and scared,  I agree it is very scary what you are going to experience over the next 6 months and there are a number of us who have gone through this, however we made it through and you will too.  The port is a good idea, as it is a lot quicker and less tedious than having to go through the “finding a good vein” process.  Here are a couple of hints to help you through the chemo stage – Make sure you get a resilience kit sent to you from this website, it is great and gives you lots of good ways to manage the surgery and chemo process.  I found the first lot of chemo the hardest, as I didn’t know what to expect and as we are all different I wasn’t sure how it was going to affect me.   I was more mentally prepared for the second lot and it didn’t seem to knock me as much.  When I wasn’t feeling the best, I rested and tried to be as gentle with myself as I could and then when I was feeling more normal (and trust me, you will) I would go about my normal life.  I made sure I had plenty of family and friends around to support me.   After each lot of chemo, I would say “well that is another down, only ?? to go”.  I found exercising helped, even if it was a just a short walk around the block. Even though chemo is not very nice, as least you know it is killing the nasty stuff.  Try and stay positive.  Take care, Helen

Profile picture

nikki

130 POSTS
JOINED JUL 2016
April 29, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Welcome to the forum!

First of all your port will be your best friend.  I saves about an hour of saline flushing at chemo so you get out of there earlier!  What chemo drugs are you having?  I’ve had a few different ones and they all have different side effects.  One thing that I’ve found that helps is to make sure your have a hobby.  Do a puzzle (I’m on my 4th go at chemo and I just finished a really hard one), paint, invest in a good colouring in book and some pencils.  I’ve found that if I’m occupied by something that doesn’t require too much thinking it helps take my mind off feeling sick.

Don’t stress about your first time at chemo.  You will think ‘I shouldn’t be here’ and be overwhelmed by it all, but oncology nurses are some of the best people you can find.  The treatment room is usually a loud happy place.  Take the opportunity to relax have some time to yourself and meet some new people.

Keep us up to date with how it goes.

Nikki