TOPIC

Reply to “her we go again”

Profile picture

Helen

242 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
November 2, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hi Cori,  What a pest that it has come back.   I had stage 3 ovarian cancer 4 years ago and had a recurrence late last year and it was on the bowel.  A cancerous node had attached itself to the outside of the bowel and caused a blockage.  I had bowel surgery and had about 10cm’s of my small intestine removed.  The surgery was ok and it did take a bit longer to recover, they used the same cut that I had from my previous surgery.   I found that getting out of bed and walking around the wards really helped.  I didn’t need to have a stoma, which I was pleased about, however I did find that I had very loose bowels for a while after surgery and even now I am careful that I do not have too many fibrous foods, like nuts, spinich, bran, some fruits etc – all the things that you are meant to eat because they are good for you!  I find keeping to this not too much fibre diet, a bit frustrating as I prefer to eat healthy to give your immune system a boost.  A dietician can advise you as to what is best to eat.  I didn’t need to have radiation, however I did have some more chemo.  All the best for your surgery and further treatment.  Helen

Profile picture

RachelGT

118 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2018
November 10, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Wishing you all the best Cori.

Profile picture

cathy

4 POSTS
JOINED SEP 2016
November 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Hi mine reoccued after 5 years in my sigmoid after slow rising Ca125 levels over 12months Was treated with carbo /doxil over 6months finished early April now on 3 monthly visits to oncologist with monitoring blood tests Hope all goes well for you

Profile picture

nikki

130 POSTS
JOINED JUL 2016
January 11, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Hi Cori,

I’ve had 3 recurrences and it is always a huge shock.  I have the same problem.  My Cancer markers don’t go up.  12 is an elevated level for me!  I’m to the stage now where my doctor ignores my blood levels and relys on scans and me knowing my body and the symptoms to look out for.  As for bowel surgery, I’ve had 2 stomas and reversals and you just have to be patient with your body and learn what foods agree with you.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Nikki

Profile picture

admin

56 POSTS
JOINED OCT 2014
January 11, 2017 at 9:30 pm

http://www.jjs.me.uk/patientinfo/advicebowelsurgery.html

This is a really good link that tells you about advice following bowel surgery.

JOIN OR LOGIN TO POST A COMMENT

Already signed up? Log in here

Ovarian Cancer Australia Home Forums Recurrence here we go again Reply to “her we go again”

Profile picture

Helen

242 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2016
November 2, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Hi Cori,  What a pest that it has come back.   I had stage 3 ovarian cancer 4 years ago and had a recurrence late last year and it was on the bowel.  A cancerous node had attached itself to the outside of the bowel and caused a blockage.  I had bowel surgery and had about 10cm’s of my small intestine removed.  The surgery was ok and it did take a bit longer to recover, they used the same cut that I had from my previous surgery.   I found that getting out of bed and walking around the wards really helped.  I didn’t need to have a stoma, which I was pleased about, however I did find that I had very loose bowels for a while after surgery and even now I am careful that I do not have too many fibrous foods, like nuts, spinich, bran, some fruits etc – all the things that you are meant to eat because they are good for you!  I find keeping to this not too much fibre diet, a bit frustrating as I prefer to eat healthy to give your immune system a boost.  A dietician can advise you as to what is best to eat.  I didn’t need to have radiation, however I did have some more chemo.  All the best for your surgery and further treatment.  Helen

Profile picture

RachelGT

118 POSTS
JOINED AUG 2018
November 10, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Wishing you all the best Cori.

Profile picture

cathy

4 POSTS
JOINED SEP 2016
November 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Hi mine reoccued after 5 years in my sigmoid after slow rising Ca125 levels over 12months Was treated with carbo /doxil over 6months finished early April now on 3 monthly visits to oncologist with monitoring blood tests Hope all goes well for you

Profile picture

nikki

130 POSTS
JOINED JUL 2016
January 11, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Hi Cori,

I’ve had 3 recurrences and it is always a huge shock.  I have the same problem.  My Cancer markers don’t go up.  12 is an elevated level for me!  I’m to the stage now where my doctor ignores my blood levels and relys on scans and me knowing my body and the symptoms to look out for.  As for bowel surgery, I’ve had 2 stomas and reversals and you just have to be patient with your body and learn what foods agree with you.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Nikki

Profile picture

admin

56 POSTS
JOINED OCT 2014
January 11, 2017 at 9:30 pm

http://www.jjs.me.uk/patientinfo/advicebowelsurgery.html

This is a really good link that tells you about advice following bowel surgery.